Lessons of Mni Wakan, Vision Quest Day 1


My sacred pipe was all ready to go, my 405 prayer ties were made, and I felt as prepared mentally and physically as I could be. I had stopped eating solid food two days before we left in order to shrink my stomach and empty my bowels. I was only drinking homemade lemonade and water to keep my body hydrated. There were five women and one man going on hanbleceya. We had supporters helping us through this experience. You can’t do this sacred traditional Lakota rite alone. It takes a team to make it possible. We left for Kamas, UT on the morning of Sept 10th, 2015. We made our four prayer flags at our supporter’s home while the sacred fire was heating up the rocks for our inipi, which starts our vision quest. A sacred fire would burn for us the whole time we were out on the mountain praying. Someone would always be attending that fire, day and night, throughout our four days of prayer. When the ‘grandfathers’ were ready, we started the inipi. In this sweat lodge, we would only do two rounds. We were purifying ourselves, our things, and setting our intentions for our sacred journey to commune with Spirit on the mountain. This was an extremely powerful sweat lodge! I had no idea what I was going to say when it was my turn to state my intentions for the vision quest. However, I truly did not expect the words that came out of my mouth. Essentially I said, “My intention is to experience both my light and my shadow. I want to find the balance and the harmony between them. I want to experience the place where the light and the darkness touch inside of me. I want to face my fear of the unknown in order to begin healing it with my light”. I guess that’s what my heart and Soul knew I needed to experience, because I certainly did go through Heaven and Hell, experiencing both profound darkness and dazzling light, while on the mountain in prayer. Once we came out of the sweat lodge, there was no more talking, eating, drinking, or eye contact with each other. We silently changed into our white clothing. The women wear long white dresses. The only long white dress with long sleeves that I had was my temple dress; so, that’s what I wore. Our supporters put us into trucks and took us up to a beautiful place in the Uinta Mountains. When we reached our destination, we gathered our things and started to hike up the dirt road.

         
             It was truly awe-inspiring and beautiful watching everyone walk up the mountain all dressed in white. I found it really ironic, as I was hiking through the sage brush, that I was wearing my temple dress to launch my sacred vision quest. It was actually very special for me to be in that dress. I was very happy to be giving it a new purpose. I had actually worn my temple dress in the sweat lodge ceremony on the 29th of August as well. It is a beautiful dress. I am glad to be giving it another purpose, another sacred and significant reason to wear it. One by one, we were dropped off like bread crumbs on the hillside. Our supporters set up our hochoka’s for us. Prayer flags were placed in every corner of the four directions. These flags would hold our many prayer ties keeping them up and off of the ground. A sacred altar was made to put an offering of Spirit food and water. All our things were placed inside of our individual circles. Then, that was it. We were left alone to pray on the mountain side. We were placed far enough apart that we couldn’t see or hear one another. I was the last one to be placed on the mountain. I didn’t like being at the very end of the group. I didn’t like being the farthest away from our supporter's camp. I was facing my fears right at the very start. My hochoka was small of course. There was barely enough room for my sleeping bag, altar, and backpack. I had very little shade too. It was late in the afternoon when I was all set up and left sitting alone in my hochoka. We were only to leave the hochoka when 'nature' called us. Then, we were right back to ‘crying for a vision’. My chanupa would be my constant companion, only setting it down when I absolutely needed to. The weather was picture perfect this weekend with warm sunny days and cool, crystal clear nights.

          I was surrounded by sagebrush, long grass, tall weeds, bugs, ticks, spiders, several small critters, either scurrying past me or digging in the dirt near me, and many dead trees. I was extremely grateful for my tarp! I was on a slant as well, which made staying in my hochoka difficult. Once I had my tarp, pad, and bag all set up, I collapsed on top of them to rest with my chanupa in my arms, too tired to sit up to pray. I was very peaceful in that moment. I knew this was exactly where I needed to be. Eventually, I regained some of my strength, and I sat up to pray with my chanupa in my lap. Unfortunately, my peacefulness didn’t last too long in that position. I tried to focus my mind, body, heart, and Soul in prayer, but the damn flies and the damn bees constantly buzzed in my face! Bees were swarming me, and the large horse flies were horrendous! They definitely had things to teach me over the next few days! I was tormented for a while. I was definitely not super spiritual in those first few hours cursing the flies, the bees, and the heat! I did learn great truths from all of three of them though, it’s amazing what animals and nature can show us if we are willing to be taught. In Shamanism, flies clean up negative energy. They visit the dead, decaying things of this world. They help us remember to live in the moment, the now, for life is short. Bees symbolize Goddess Warrior energy, blessings, and prosperity. The bee is sacred. I came to accept them both as an important part of my vision quest, representing equally the lightness and the darkness inside of me. The heat was also my teacher. The warmth from the sun’s rays would be greatly missed in the cold dark night. I tried to be thankful for, rather than complain about, how warm the sun’s energy felt on my skin for it would be temporary. I had an alter set up for my chanupa. If your sacred pipe comes apart your vision quest is over. They had lashed my stone pipe to its wooden stem with a special leather strip and sacred red cloth to prevent that from happening. Since I had no shade, I set my chanupa on its altar while I tied a sheet to the dead tree branch above my hochoka. It worked quite well to get me out of the sun. As I picked up my chanupa I had such deep, overpowering gratitude in my heart for my Creator. As I lay down on my back looking up at the perfectly clear blue sky, cradling my sacred pipe in my arms, I was moved to tears. It felt like what little water I had left in me came out and ran down my cheeks.

          It is almost impossible to describe the feelings, emotions, and thoughts I experienced in those early hours on the hill. The oneness with all I could see, the gratitude consuming my heart for being there in that exact moment of time, and the relationship to Spirit that was already happening within me is beyond my ability to communicate. Though, I’ll never forget that sensation of oneness. There is a Native American Spiritual saying the goes, “If we look at the path we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk, is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.” I was beginning to understand and live this significant realization with every fiber of my being while on the mountain. It was beautiful! I sat up again, in silence, perfectly still, allowing the bees and flies to rest on me at will, contemplating why I was here at this moment in time, at this specific location, while soaking in all the beauty around me. I was surrounded by beautiful mountains everywhere I looked. Being early September, the leaves were just starting to change their colors. The mountains were on fire with red, gold, orange, green, and yellow leaves dancing on the trees. It was gorgeous to behold! The next day, 9/11/15, would be my 47th birthday! I was eager to see what that day would bring. I couldn’t think of a better way to ring in another year on this planet than being on a vision quest pondering my life, my purpose, and my connection to my Creator. As the sun went down, I was filled with tremendous appreciation, profound peace, and pure bliss was flowing throughout my body! It was Heavenly!

           It got cold very quickly once the sun was gone behind the other mountain. I added layers of warmer cloths and climbed into my sleeping bag with my chanupa resting gently on my chest. I tried not the think about the sage brush touching my hair, and about what kinds creepy, crawling things might be sharing my bag with me throughout the night. I put aside those thoughts as I watched the stars pop out one by one. It was so serene and magnificent. I could see the Milky Way right above my head and many constellations. I was perfectly warm and cozy in my thick sleeping bag despite whatever bugs that might be creeping in to join me. I enjoyed watching incredible dazzling lights dance in the night sky; they were not airplanes, helicopters, or satellites. I am not sure what those beautiful lights were or what caused them to move in that fashion, but they were fantastic and astonishing to observe. When I rolled over, the big dipper took my breath away. Sparkling spectacularly in the enormous, dark night sky, it rested right above the hillside in front of me. As I lay on my stomach preparing for sleep I marveled at its beauty so crisp and shinny against the pitch black sky. It was another picture perfect scene. I fell asleep on my belly with my chanupa snuggled under my arm, listening to the many crickets and bugs that were making the hillside hum with resonance. As I slept, I was caught away in my first vision.


          I was very aware of Mother Earth beneath me, supporting me, holding me gently. I began to feel Her heart beat, clearly dancing in sync with mine. I felt the heartbeat of our Earth Mother! I could feel ‘Her’ loving energy pulsing, pouring up into me through the sacred ground I was resting on. It was incredible. In addition to the heartbeat of Pachamama, I could simultaneously feel the vibrations of the crickets and bugs creating the musical sounds, within me as well. I vibrated and pulsed as one with all of the creation around me. It was pure ecstasy! In that blissful moment, I was in perfect harmony with nature! It was exactly like when I was giving Reiki to my mom for the first time. There were Heavenly vibrations of Divine Love and Universal Life Force Energy flowing all throughout me. It was a Cosmic Paradise! It was Nirvana! I wish I could have stayed that way forever. Crystal clear messages came to me during this experience. I was especially conscious of the fact that I am truly not separate from anything. I was the rock, the tree, the bugs, the wind, the Earth, and the sky. Again, “I and the Father are one” was a statement about me and about all of creation. In that very instant, I undoubtedly felt it, and knew it absolutely. The message continued, “Just like every atom contains the whole, every piece of creation contains God, our Source. To know God, we must be God-like. Knowledge doesn’t necessarily mean understanding. There is much to discover. In reality, God is a part of the shadow too. Yet, God casts out fear. Therefore remember, you have nothing to fear because God is with you. You are safe...” Slowly, I awoke from that vision. The feelings of tranquility, serenity, and the vibrations of Divine Love steadily slowed within me until at last it left me; the feelings of bliss and nirvana were gone completely. I had lost my heaven! 


               
A new feeling took over my body. I desperately wanted and needed water. This was all I could think about. My prayers of crying for a vision became prayers of crying for water. I cried, and prayed, for water with every fiber of my being. I could clearly see a picture of the water that I drink everyday in my minds eye. I have a beautiful deep blue glass bottle from the CraftWood Inn in CO. Every morning I make blue solar water and fresh lemon aide. I fill the blue bottle up with water, infuse it with the Ho’oponopono phrases, ‘I love you’, and ‘Thank you’. Then, I add Holy Fire Reiki energy, and now it is ready to sit in the morning sunlight for about an hour. It is the sweetest water I have ever tasted. I was in anguish desiring to have a drink of my blue solar water! My mouth was exceptionally dry, my allergies had kicked in from lying in the sagebrush, and I didn’t think I would make it through the night. I tried to go back to that feeling of oneness; but, I could not connect with it. All I could feel was my body aching. Every joint was on fire, my back, my feet, my knees, my hips, my toes, and my kidneys all were screaming at me to "please take a drink of water!" It was such a helpless, desperate feeling. Water was my only thought, my only desire. I was caught up in my physical existence. I could not focus on the spiritual side at all. However, eventually, I did fall asleep once again. 


          What felt like a few hours later, I was awakened by a presence. It was the crystal clear feeling that I was not alone which awoke me. I knew someone was by my side, like when one of my kids sneaks into our bedroom in the middle of the night without a sound, yet I know they are there. It was startling. My heart was pounding. Finally, I found the nerve to look around. I slowly, quietly, lifted my head and I saw a woman standing right outside of my hochoka near the southwest corner. At first, I thought it was the woman who was closest to me on the hill. I couldn’t figure out why she would have left her hochoka to come see me in the middle of the night. There must be something wrong. However, she didn’t speak to me. She just stood there. As I studied her more carefully, waiting for her to talk to me, rubbing the sleepiness from my eyes, I realized without a doubt, this was a lovely Native American woman not my friend on the hill, and she was as real as any person I have ever seen. Immediately, I forgot the lessons I had just been taught about being one with Creation. My fears over took me, and I was plunged into a hell of my own making! I was petrified with fear. It was now surging through my body. I tightly closed my eyes. I hoped I was just dreaming, and that she would vanish. However every time I peeked, she was still standing there. Finally, I found the nerve to truly observe her. I could tell she had on a thick robe made of fur, although I could not tell the color of it for everything was dark in the starlight. I saw she had a large wooden bowl of water in her arms, and eagle feathers in her long dark hair that were gently moving with a breeze I couldn’t feel. She was a gorgeous Native American woman. I shouldn’t be afraid, but I was. I knew she was not going to hurt me. She was not a threat to me in any way. Yet, I could not let go of my fears, worries, uneasiness, and apprehension that I was seeing a ghostly figure in the dead of night. Was I going crazy, or was I very fortunate to have this vision, or both? As I was lying there studying her features, I started to hear voices, which is usually not a good sign. As they grew louder, I could tell they were singing Lakota songs that I had heard while in an inipi. They were faint at first, but grew louder. With that, I buried my head in my bag. This was not happening! It was not real! I would not accept it! Consequently, the negative-self talk started in my head. I had horrible thoughts race through my mind. I had no faith in myself! It had vanished with the ending of my first vision. Why was I even here? I couldn’t remember why I had wanted to come here so badly. Now, I feared I lacked the ability to see this through to the end. I doubted my worthiness to carry a chanupa, who was I to be a part of these sacred traditions? I wanted to dash away to our supporter's camp and leave my sacred hochoka for good. A full blown panic attack was running wild and free in my mind and body with all sorts of reasons why I should have never come to ‘cry for a vision’. How could I have been so naïve as to think this was a good idea? I believe with all my heart, my unbearable fears and resistance to this vision brought on the next part of my experience. Abruptly the songs stopped, then wolves started howling all around me. Wolves were definitely howling! There was no haunting moon to howl at, in fact, it was the dark moon, the night before the New moon. My only light was from the stars. I’m positive there were not any physical wolfs present on that hill with me, except, I could unmistakably hear them howling and roaming on the hill. It sounded as if they were very close to me, encircling me, in the tall grass. I was certainly experiencing the shadows, the darkness, and my fears of the unknown that I keep buried deep inside me. Those thoughts were all bubbling to the surface of my consciousness. I was as vulnerable and as exposed to the elements, and my own unconscious awareness, as I could be. Then as suddenly as they had started, they stopped. The mountain became dead quiet, lifeless, frozen in silence just like my body. I couldn’t hear a cricket, or any creatures stirring, no wind either. The complete silence of the mountain was the most petrifying ‘sound’ of all. How could the whole mountain be so motionless in absolute stillness? My thumping heart was the only movement, or sound, it seemed. All the while, this stunning woman was still standing patiently next to my hochoka as if she was waiting for me to surrender. She never moved other than the wind through her hair, and her feathers, which I still couldn’t feel. At last the silence was broken with incredible, mystical, beautiful drumming. It was such sweet music to my ears. I was starting to accept that this was all meant to happen. I needed to stop resisting it. I needed to allow whatever was required to happen, to just happen. It was time to yield to the experience and to face my fears directly in the eyes. I needed to stop hiding in my bag. After all, this was exactly what I had intended for me to experience while in that opening sweat lodge. At this very moment, I realized I was half way out of my Hochoka. My legs were completely exposed underneath my prayer ties laying in the dirt rather than my tarp. I had slowly slid under them throughout the night because of the slant on the hill, and my thick, slick sleeping bag. My hochoka and my chanupa were my only comfort. I wanted to be entirely within that sacred space. I could just imagine the stalking wolves sneaking up the hill behind me and grabbing one of my legs. Irrational Fears! So many illogical, ridiculous fears started to enter my mind all over again. The what if’s!! At last, I couldn’t take it any longer.
        
      Up until that moment, I had been paralyzed with fright. However, I needed to be completely in my sacred space in order to compose myself. My hochoka was truly all I had. I needed to get out of my sleeping bag in order to move it back into my sacred circle. It took all the audacity I could find within me to get out of my bag, and to rearrange myself back into place. The startling, astounding, mystical woman never left me, waiting unceasingly for me to give in and to acquiesce. Once I was snuggled back in my sleeping bag completely inside of my sacred circle, I started to feel relief. I was extremely proud of myself for actually moving and for breaking out of my paralysis! As I was beginning to relax in this blessed respite, serenity started to wash over me once more; cleansing me of my doubts. Suddenly, a woman’s voice distinctly said, “Lift up your head and look!”  Immediately, I did what she said, I lifted my head up just in time to see a glowing, shimmering, beautiful shooting star fire itself all the way across the big dipper from one end to the other. That was the reassuring sign I needed to chase away the last of my fears and qualms. Totally exhausted, I relinquished to the moment resting my head back down on my make shift pillow. Then, the woman by my hochoka spoke to me openly. She told me many things, while I laid there in awe starring up at the big dipper and her. I’m not going to share publicly all her words, most were just for me concerning my purpose, my dreams, and my desires for the last half of my Life. However at the end of her address to me, she talked about sacred water, mni wakhan. These thoughts I do want to share with you. I found these thoughts very fitting as we are heading into the Age of Aquarius, the sign of the water bearer. 
               
She reminded me that water is a precious symbol of Love, Life, and our emotions. In order to hold water in our hands we must be open. If we try to seize it, it leaves us, running through our fingers to the ground. But if our hands are cupped, we can hold that sacred Life giving element easily. If I want to be open to Love, and to all of Life, then I need to let go of trying to control it so that Life, and Love, can flow through me, and to me, as easily as water flows down a magical mountain stream into a lake. She said, “Imagine what the spiritual being could do with the focus you are giving to the physical part of you right now. You thirst not for plain water, but for Living waters, sacred waters; that is why you are here. God is always with you. God is inside of you. You are Divine. Embrace the fear you feel by loving it. Love can heal all things. True Love is our greatest gift to give the world. Transform the darkness, the shadow that haunts you from within, through your Sacred Light. There is absolutely nothing to fear in truth. Face your Life and all circumstances with the certainty of the Sacred Light within you and the ease of which water flows to you. Rise out of your false shadowy consciousness and come into the Consciousness of Divine Love. There you will always find your peace. At dawn, you will have mni wakhan, and you may stop your vision quest.” Then she vanished without a trace. She was just gone. All I could see where she once stood was a crooked dead tree looking twisted and spooky in the star light. It took a really long time for me to go back to sleep after that encounter, and then it was a restless sleep, not sound. There was so much to ponder and meditate on concerning the thoughts, ideas, and words she had shared with me. Thankfully, I was no longer frightened. I was very grateful my fear was transformed back into faith. This was truly the longest night of my life! I was exceedingly appreciative when Venus finally rose up over the top of the mountain. I knew that the night was just about over, and dawn would soon be breaking.

          There had been moments of great bliss and moments of immense fear, incredible lights full of hope and beauty; and, unfathomable shadows filled with dread and despair. Darkness that was finally replaced by the Lightness of Love; visions, dreams, and answers for my hearts deepest questions came to me that night. I am forever grateful for those hours packed with gloom which helped me appreciate and ascertain my Sacred Light! I found my balance and equilibrium between the two extremes. I found my bliss and Nirvana in the sacred space where the dark and the light touch. Balance, harmony, and equilibrium are three sacred keys to living life! This truth was as crystal clear to me as the splendid approaching sunlight of the blessed dawn of my birthday. "The Dawning of the light of awareness is the new birth where the sun rises and the day breaks within you.” (Alberto Villoldo) Not only was this new sunrise ringing in my birthday, I was now 47, born at 5:55 am; but, it was also a significant day of re-birth for me. The “light of awareness” had dawned within me. I am now crystal clear on my purpose for what I need to be, and do, with this last half of my life. Truthfully, I was born anew when that sacred illuminating sunlight dawned on 9/11/2015. From that dark night came the radiant, glorious light of understanding with further enlightenment about my mission in life. This was in fact a ‘birth’ day, a new beginning, and a new dawn for my Life. Happy Birthday to me, indeed!


Namaste!
(Copy and paste all links)

www.iamsacredlight.com
www.sacredlights.net

My YouTube Channel Sacred Light

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZXFp40f4k40LYshzXyl2Q?view_as=subscriber


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sacred Secretion

The story of Santa Claus(trum).

The Mystery of Naronia