Vision Quest Day 2




          It was light long before the sun finally came out from behind the mountain, but still cold. I stayed nestled in my sleeping bag for a while longer. I knew our supporters would soon be checking in on me. It was dawn, and I wanted mni wakhan like the inspiring woman had promised me. Also, I wanted to leave with them immediately! I thought my vision quest was absolutely over, finished, and complete. I was still so desperate for water!! It was not food I desired, only Life saving water! When they arrived to check on me, I was given pejuta wakhan, sacred medicine, blessed water, about two cups worth. They encouraged me to stay a little longer and to continue to spend the day in prayer. They said they would check on me again to see how I felt in the evening. Reluctantly, I agreed to stay knowing thirst would be my biggest challenge.

         The fly’s and the bee’s plagued me yet again, the heat was extreme torture to my longing for water. The lack of water was the hardest thing for me during the day. I felt like it was literally killing me to go without it. I swear I could feel my internal organs shriveling, drying up for lack of water. But I stayed, and I prayed, in my own way. By the afternoon, I had to hang my sheet again in the tree to get some relief from the sun. I needed shade! I set my chanupa down on its altar once again while I tied my sheet to the same dead tree branch in front of me as I had the day before. As I sat back down, I looked at the round yellow, glowing sun shining through the light colored cloth. Instantaneously, a vision opened up to me once more.

          It was the same woman who had come to me in the middle of the night who spoke to me. (See my post Vision Quest Day 1 for that vision.) I didn’t see her like I had during the night. I just knew she was there with me again. The first thing I said to her, when I recognized her presence was, “Can you tell me your name?” She answered me saying, “I am White Buffalo Calf Woman…”, and with those words I was whisked away with her in another sacred conversation. She told me to continue to do my healing work, especially with, and for, other women. We talked more about my sacred purpose and new calling. There was more discussion about sacred water. She said to honor it, to bless it when I consume it, and to conserve it. She reaffirmed for me I was complete with my vision quest. I didn’t have to spend another night on the hill. She knew my fears, my needs, and the sincere desires of my heart. I asked her several things regarding why I had come to ‘cry for a vision’. Finally I asked her, “How do I know my vision quest is really completed?” I was feeling bad about desperately wanting to leave this place. She replied, “Where is your chanupa?” I looked down at my lap. It wasn’t there. I hadn’t picked it back up since sitting down and going into this vision with her. I reached over to pick it up. Immediately, it fell apart in my hands. Even with being lashed together with a leather strip and cloth, it came apart as if nothing was holding it in place, like someone had reached over and untied the strings while it was in my hands. I started to cry, partly with sweet relief and partly with warm sadness. After that, the vision ended. All of her messages were crystal clear in the mind and in my heart. I stayed on that hill in my sacred circle as long as I possibly could. However, thirst and physical pain were absolutely forcing me to leave. 

          In the late afternoon, I gradually packed up my things, took down my hochoka, and started to walk out on my own. I was so weak, exhausted, hungry, and thirsty. This was the farthest I have ever physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally pushed my body all at once. I walked very slowly down the mountain carrying all of my things. I was afraid of falling and not being able to get back up because of the severe pain in my lower back and knees. I took baby steps through the sage brush, half the time dragging my things rather than carrying them. I made many stops along the way, until I reached the dirt road. Hanbleceya was the toughest thing I have ever done, and I am really proud of myself for doing it! I was extremely relieved to find our supporter's camp. I dropped my things in the middle of the dirt road and quickly went to it. I sat me down in the shade, and was given water and a few grapes. We talked a little bit about what I had experienced. My hochoka was set up across from camp so I could still pray, but I now had access to sacred, holy water if I absolutely needed it. I couldn’t continue without being able to have a drink of that divine Life giving gift. However, it was interesting that once my physical body knew that water was available to me, I stopped yearning for it. 

          Saturday morning, one of the other women came off of the hill. Since there were two of us completed, we went back to the house for another sacred sweat lodge ceremony to officially end our vision quests. Because we had to wait for the rocks to heat up in the fire, it was Saturday afternoon before we finished with our final two rounds in the sweat lodge. We were now officially lodged out, done with our vision quests. Over 48 hours had passed since we had started our journey with an inipi. We could now eat, drink, and talk as we wished. There were still three other people up on the hill continuing to pray. One woman had already left before us. Now, we were supporters for those still on the mountain. Later that night, two more people were finished with their vision quests as well. There was only one woman left ‘crying for a vision’ that last night. I stayed on the base of the hill in my truck to help take down camp the next day. Saturday night in my truck, I had my last vision. It was a very restless night for me without much sleep; insights kept coming to me about the entire experience.

        
Sunday morning just before sunrise, I am meditating facing east as I watch the sun come out from behind the mountain. I am incredibly joyful to have completed my vision quest! My biggest take away from this experience is the lesson I learned about sacred water, mni wakhan. I have a new appreciation for that blessed element. I am reminded about the great teaching of Lao-Tzu from the Tao Te Ching. The 78th verse states in part, “Nothing in the world is softer and weaker than water. But for attacking the hard, the unyielding, nothing can surpass it. There is nothing like it. The weak overcomes the strong; the soft surpasses the hard...” We can learn so much from each of the elements, but water is something I will never take for granted again. I would continue to have new perspectives come to me regarding my visions and dreams during the weeks and months following my vision quest. We packed up camp, and went back to the house to help the last woman lodge out. That final inipi was the most divine one of them all for me. It is the one I will always cherish. After that lodge, we smoked our chanupa’s, and individually burned our prayer ties, and prayer flags, in the sacred fire, releasing our prayers up to the Great Spirit. It was a very emotional moment for me when I threw all of my prayers into the holy fire for the smoke to carry up to my Creator. I have no words to describe my gratitude to all those who made this journey possible for me. Those I journeyed with, and who supported us, are a part of my Soul family now!

         
When I arrived home Sunday afternoon, my family celebrated my birthday with me. I am eternally grateful for their support of me as well! I could not have done this without them. It was great to be back to my wonderful, magical, mystical Life with a new appreciation, and thankfulness, for all that I have. I will always remember this birthday as the day I gave birth to myself and faced many of my fears. I am ready to shine the Sacred Light of who I really am, and to live the last half of my life to its fullest!
Gratefully, I will never be the same after this vision quest. I feel extremely blessed to have had so many experiences which have profoundly changed my life, which have advanced my transformation, my Metanoia. Never being the same again is a blessing. Growth, enlargement, expansion, development, and improvement can’t take place unless we are willing to let go of the old and embrace the new. When the hermit crab out grows its shell, it doesn’t morn over it. It moves on to the next bigger, better fitting shell, and embraces it as its new home. When we climb up a stair case, we don’t morn each step as we ascend it. I am eager to do the same with my life. I welcome the changes that this last half of my existence will bring!


Namaste!


(Copy and paste all links)

www.iamsacredlight.com
www.sacredlights.net

My YouTube Channel Sacred Light

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZXFp40f4k40LYshzXyl2Q?view_as=subscriber

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sacred Secretion

The story of Santa Claus(trum).

The Mystery of Naronia