Preparing for Vision Quest


     There are really only two things we can completely control. How well we prepare for something and how we respond to the things that happen to us. Those are completely under our control. 

      I have been on an incredible healing journey these past, almost 5 years now, to find my authentic voice. It has been a journey from a strict religious belief system to the realization I am perfect, whole and complete just as I am without the need for an intermediary between myself and God. I am writing a book about this journey that should be out before the holidays. It will have the same title as this blog. This blog will be about how I have found my authenticity. 

     I am preparing for my first Lakota Vision Quest. It was not something I planned to do when the summer first started. It has unfolded as the summer came forth. I went to my first sweat lodge ceremony on June 27th. It was one of the most powerful, spiritual experiences I have ever had. I was not expecting what occurred. I had beautiful visions and healing's while in that dark, hot, sacred space. One of those visions was of me doing a vision quest with a pipe. 

     In July, I was gifted with my stone for my canupa. That is the Lakota's sacred pipe. Pipes can choose their owners; mine certainly did. I wasn't pursuing that responsibility; it came to me. I am honored to be it's carrier. It is something I will cherish for the rest of my life. 

     The first thing I had to do to prepare for my Vision Quest was to start carving and shaping the stone for the pipe. This was not an easy task! I have never carved stone; yet, it needed to be beautiful and functional! Once I got up the courage to actually put a file to the stone, it really did speak to me; as I worked on it, I could tell what I needed to do next. I was guided the whole time. It took several weeks to file, sand, polish and oil. I was so impressed I was able to fit it to the stem which is made of wood. That was the part I was the most nervous about doing. I saved all the shavings from the stone; it makes the softest, fine, pink powder. It is made from Minnesota pipe stone. It is beautiful I think. Here is my finished piece of stone. I love it with all my heart!
      It must go on it's own vision quest before I take it with me on mine. We are having another sweat lodge this weekend where my pipe will get to go on its first vision quest for four days. Then, on Sept 1st, we will do a final sweat lodge to end the canupa's vision quest. This is only a small part of the preparations I have had to do for this all to happen. I am busy making prayer ties as well for my sacred hochoka that I will be sitting in for three days while on my vision quest. I have spent many hours in prayer, thought and meditation about what I am about to do. I have never felt so scared and so excited at the same time. 

     Vision Quests are usually 4 days. I will only be gone for three. There are family details that prevented me from being there the first day. However, it has worked out perfectly for me because I will be going up on my birthday, 9/11. I can't think of a better way to ring in another year on this earth than to be in a sacred ceremony, praying to Wanka Tankan, the Great Spirit, meditating and connecting to Pachamama! Our beloved Earth! 

     If you had known me 5 years ago, you would understand how completely out of character this is for me to even think about doing, let alone, actually doing. I had so much fear inside me then. Fear has controlled my life! Losing my religion was the best gift that I have ever received. Now, I am fearless. Well, okay, maybe not completely fearless! But, I am expanding my world like I never would have dreamed possible in my old system of belief. 

     I hope you will come with me on this adventure I am about to begin. I will be sharing much of my journey on this blog. Authoring my first book, doing my first vision quest and preparing to teach my first online classes this fall for the Spirituality Center has been quite a challenge to prepare for all of them at once. Preparation is the key! That I have in my complete control!

     

      
       


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sacred Secretion

The story of Santa Claus(trum).

The Mystery of Naronia