Sacred Spaces


At first you might find that nothing happens there. But if you have a sacred space and use it, eventually something will happen. Your sacred space is where you can find yourself over and over again. ~ Joseph Campbell   (March 24, 2018 right after my session with Don Juan, a shaman from Peru.)  
In shamanism, you learn to create sacred spaces; sacred spaces within yourself and within your environment. A sacred space is always a part of you, and it can be around you as well; anywhere can be turned into sacred space. Altars are one way of creating sacred spaces. I have many altars around my home, and I would bet that you do too, even if you don’t realize it. I would claim that every home has altars. A family mantle with pictures on it is an altar. Displaying special items in a beautiful way creates an altar. Altars are something humans have fashioned for thousands of years, or more. When I was a Mormon my altars would have pictures of temples, church leaders, statues of Jesus, and spiritual quotes on them. I didn’t consider them to be altars at that time in my life; but, I realize that is what they were. Nowadays some of my sacred spaces, and altars, in my home are for specific ceremonies, while others are for pure joy and beauty. They all make my heart sing. Creating sacred spaces in our homes, even if it is just a small corner of a room, or the top of a book shelf, where we can connect to the sacred space within us through mediation, journeying, singing, chanting, or dancing is a responsibility one has if they are to walk a mystical, spiritual path.

          Yogi Guru Master Minood said, “Within the chaos that life throws at us, within the turmoil that our mind makes us experience, within the chatter that surrounds us there is a space, a sacred space, where all answers are residing, where happiness and joy abounds. That space is within you! Find out about that space. It is our duty!And, Brené Brown said it this way, “The soul is the sacred space where my head and heart meet; where God lives.” This is the most important sacred space to create, a sacred space to just be with yourself, where you can connect to your Sacred Light in silence, or in sound. Here you will get your answers, your guidance, and your inspiration for your life.When you take a shamanic journey, often you will start at a sacred place in nature that is special and significant for you. It may be a real place that you have been to before, or it may be a place that you haven’t physically been present at; but, this place is dear to your heart. The important thing is this place holds meaning for you, you feel at peace in this sacred spot, and you can picture it in your mind clearly. 

Twice a year, while growing up, my parents and I traveled to Moab, UT for spring break and fall break. During the spring, the Jeep safari is held, in which my father loved to participate. We always had a Jeep, or 4X4 vehicle. My father was an expert at getting that Jeep to go just about anywhere over and under the red rocks of southern UT. I loved being in that bouncy jeep as my dad drove us on steep, rough, red dirt roads, through narrow spaces between huge rocks, on snake like winding switch backs, and on the edges of sheer cliffs. This was the high light of my life, going ‘Jeeping’, hiking, camping, and exploring on the gorgeous red rocks of southern UT. My heart still skips a beat when I see those majestic mountains made of red and white sandstone! 

Ever since I learned to journey my sacred starting point has always been the same. I start my journeys at Delicate Arch, in Arches National Park, UT. Delicate Arch is my all time favorite hike, favorite arch, and my absolute favorite place on earth, with Hawaii a very close second. My heart is full of gratitude and appreciation when I am in that spot of nature, and I can go there instantly at any moment through the mind. This is why I always start my journeys from this sacred space at Delicate Arch. Richard came home for his pre-deployment leave during our spring break of March 2016. We were fortunate that they happened to coincide. We took our family to Moab, UT to celebrate Easter, spring break, and Richard’s return. It had been twenty one years since I had set foot on those precious red rocks in Southern Utah, which I had roamed and ascended in my youth. Being there with almost all of my family was priceless. (Michael, Sahara, and Emmalee were not able to come with us this time.)

         
Easter Sunday, March 27th 2016, I met the sunrise with a mini meditation before having an ‘Easter candy’ hunt with our kids at the condo. It was a cold, crisp, beautiful dawn; but, the day would turn out sunny, warm, and picture perfect! We headed to Arches National Park after an Easter brunch. The hike to Delicate Arch and Landscape Arch were wonderful. I was in awe at the raw, natural beauty all around me. Being at my sacred space once again after so many years away was very inspirational. Also, seeing my love for climbing the red rocks clearly displayed in all of my children was both magnificent and terrifying at the same instant. I was proud of their tenacity to get to where I had never dared venture in my youth, and horrified at the risk their physical bodies were capable of experiencing should their footing not be secure. Even RJ, our four year old, was determined to reach the tippy top of high sandy caves, towering arches, and radiant red rocks!

         
The last day of our trip we went to Dead Horse Point State Park. It was a snowy, cold day; but, I had spent so much time at this amazing camping spot growing up that I couldn’t be so close to it without once again witnessing the Colorado River wind its way around the incredible horse shoe bend I love so much. Dead Horse Point is grander than the Grand Canyon in my opinion. Luckily, the weather warmed up just as we finished eating our lunch. We were able to walk the rim trail of the canyon with sunshine on our shoulders instead of snowflakes. At the outlook point, I could clearly see Shaffer trail below us, a dusty red dirt road I had traveled countless times in my formative years. Those red rocks and winding roads held healing powers for my heart and my soul as a child, adolescent, and young adult. Visiting Southern UT always feels like coming home. Sacred spaces are what these majestic and dramatic rock formations are to me.

          P. M. Harrison said, “Success isn’t about reaching the right destination. It is about walking the right road.” There is a Native America spiritual metaphor about ‘Walking the Red Road’. For me, this ‘Red Road’ is my ‘right road’ to begin the journey for this last half of my life. What ‘Walking the Red Road’ means to me is, knowing that every person and everything created by the Great Mystery has a purpose and mission to fulfill, knowing everyone has something inside them to pass on to those who will listen with an open heart and open mind. To ‘Walk the Red Road’, to me, is to know I will one day cross over to the spirit world once again, and I will not be afraid to face that new expedition. To ‘Walk the Red Road’ means to live a balanced, and harmonious life; and that, I honor the Natural, Spiritual Laws of both worlds, the Physical and the Spiritual. ‘Walking the Red Road’ is a commitment within my heart to the sacred path I journey upon. ‘Walking the Red Road’ is an active thing; it is the living of life, not just a saying to hang on my wall. I am traveling this ‘red road’ to experience an undeviating relationship with my Creator. That’s what ‘Walking the Red Road’ means to me. I love this metaphor because I grew up ‘jeeping’ on the dusty ‘Red Roads’ of Southern Utah. ‘Walking the Red Road’ is a passion that calls out to my heart. Somewhere in my distant memory, I know these ancient ways are my ways too. This is why I find myself being drawn by a deep seeded urge to return to Nature, my Pachamama, and my true Spirit. It is a longing so powerful that I don’t question it any more, or fight it. I only live it!

Edgar Cayce, when speaking about these Native American traditions said, “By awakening the Native American teachings, you come to the realization that the Earth is not something simply that you build upon and walk upon and drive upon and take for granted. It is a living entity. It has consciousness.” That is what I have come to understand as well, Pachamama is alive in more ways than I will ever be able to understand or appreciate, but I am trying; learning how to love and care for ‘Her’ on my own sacred piece of ‘Her soil’ is one of my missions. I still remember what it felt like to have ‘Her’ heart beat dance with mine, while on my vision quest. I know we are intimately connected. Sacred Spaces are so important to me now. Creating sacred space to pray, meditate, connect with my Spirit and my Soul, to enjoy Nature, and to find my balance is crucial to my growth, my expansion, and my sanity. Jaeda DeWalt said, “The calm within the storm is where peace lives and breathes. It is not within perfect circumstances or a charmed life... it is not conditional. Peace is a sacred space within; it is the temple of our internal landscape. We are free to visit it, whenever we seek sanctuary. Underneath the chaos of everyday living, peace is patiently awaiting our discovery... go within.”  My hope is that you too will enjoy creating sacred spaces within your heart and within your home. Create sacred spaces to welcome in your dreams, to converse with the God of your understanding, and to generously appreciate your beautifully divine Life as you walk down your own sacred road. Where ever it leads you next. 

Namaste!

(copy and paste links)

My website:
www.sacredlights.net

My YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZXFp40f4k40LYshzXyl2Q?view_as=subscriber

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sacred Secretion

The story of Santa Claus(trum).

The Mystery of Naronia