To The Beat Of My Own Drum


Once I started using Reiki energy regularly in my life, I had a very strong desire in my heart to learn more about Shamanism. Shamanism is not a religion. It is a method, a practice, a way of life that requires humility, reverence towards Nature, and self discipline. I bought several books about combining Reiki with Shamanism in a Reiki practice. I studied them, and I loved the idea of using the two modalities together, and I have been on a quest ever since to learn as much as I can about it in this lifetime. In Dec of 2013, I had a sudden, deep desire to get and use a drum in my life, and healing practice. I found a Reiki drumming class online and immediately signed up without questioning what I was doing. I remember thinking how out of character this was for me to desire a drum. Yet, there was no denying the call of it to my wildly, passionate heart. Drums are living, and they contain the spirit of the animals and wood they are made from in addition to the special spirit medicine you will receive when you activate your drum, while journeying to find its medicine and name. In that first drumming class, I went on my first shamanic journey to find the Spirit of my drum. I didn't know what to expect since I had never journeyed before because I didn't know that I could. However, it was a spectacular experience to say the least! I was amazed at what I saw diving into the darkness of my mind. I will share a few details from my first voyage into the underworld of spirit. I appeared on a black sand beach at sunrise. The sky was a vibrant violet color. It was breathtakingly gorgeous there with dark palm trees swaying in an ocean breeze that was both warm and cool. As I was standing on the beach soaking in the beauty all around me, the black sand turned into black pearls beneath my feet. The shore was filled with beautiful black pearls as far as I could see. I could feel their cool, silky texture underneath my bare feet. Then, I noticed a man was walking towards me out of the jungle in East. He approached me and said he was my great grandfather; he was a Hopi Shaman. He came to me carrying a big black crow on his shoulder, a large black Jaguar by his side, and a huge, beautiful black pearl in his hand. He spoke with me and told me about the Spirit of my drum, how the crow, the Jaguar, and the pearl had powerful medicines to contribute to my drums healing influence. He told me I would go to Hawaii and get a black pearl to wear around my neck. (We had no plans for a trip to Hawaii at that time.) After he was finished talking to me, they all three came back with me to be a part of the Spirit medicine of my drum. My drum’s name is the Black Pearl. I absolutely love my first shamanic healing drum! 


About nine years before this journey, I broke a bracelet of black pearls that I had bought on my first trip to Hawaii in 2002. When I brought home my drum, I decorated it with those lovely black pearls. Black pearls are less common. In shamanism, they’re a symbol of wisdom, love, peace, healing, and hope for wounded hearts. Pearls are sometimes called ‘teardrops of the moon’. The Persians believed black pearls were made when rainbows touched the earth. Crows are associated with life’s mysteries and ancient magick. This spirit animal symbolizes personal transformation, being fearless, flexible, and mischievous. The panther is associated with power and protection. The panther symbolizes courage, valor, the mother, the dark moon, and the power of the night. This spirit animal encourages us to understand the power within the shadow to help us eliminate our fears of the darkness and of the unknown. That’s a gift I could really use on myself. It was interesting to me that these are all black symbols which are associated with strength, power, and confidence. They are the perfect spirit medicines for my drum!

When our children graduate from high school, we let them take a special trip. Our first three boys had all been to Alaska with their dad for their senior trips. Because Richard was leaving for boot camp right after high school graduation, he went to Alaska at the start of his senior year instead of at the end. We wouldn’t have any time with him in the summer to take another family vacation. Our family was going to go to California to see his graduation from boot camp in September. That would be our big family vacation for the year. However, Randy decided it would be nice to take another special trip with Richard for spring break, before he left our home for good. Richard had already joined the Marines the year before in their delayed entry program. He had been training with them every week his entire senior year. Since he had already been to Randy’s favorite spot, Alaska; we thought it would be nice for him to go to a place that I deeply loved. I knew exactly where I wanted to go. We only had a few weeks until spring break, but Randy managed to plan a last minute trip for us, Mike, Rich, and Brandon. The five of us went to Honolulu, Hawaii on the island of Oahu for spring break in April of 2014.

Hawaii has always been dear to my heart. I have had the privilege of being there three times, and I hope to live there someday. The name Hawaii has a beautiful meaning. Ha means to inspire, wai means water, and i means divine. So altogether, Hawaii means ‘the breath and the water of the Divine’. Hawaii is truly Heaven on Earth to me.


The first full day there, we went to the Polynesian Center. The Polynesian Center is owned by the L.D.S church. They have a temple nearby, and BYU Hawaii is close as well. It is a fun place to go. You learn a little bit about all the Islands in the Pacific. They put on shows and have a Luau at night. As we were leaving the Luau for the nightly show, I noticed an oyster cracking station in one of their shops. Michael wanted to crack an oyster for his girlfriend Sahara; and of course, I wanted to crack an oyster too. We were both hoping for a black pearl. Given that it was a part of my shamanic journey two months earlier, I had no doubt I would pick an oyster with a black pearl in it. Mike chose first. When the woman cracked it open for him, there was a beautiful, beaming black pearl with a pretty purple hue to it. It was gorgeous. My heart skipped a beat for a second. Maybe, he had gotten my pearl! I picked next. It was automatic. I knew exactly which oyster was meant for me. When she cracked it open, I saw another elegant black pearl. Two black pearls in a row! And, the only two black pearls found that day as well. Mine had a lovely dark blue tint to it. It was absolutely perfect! We carried our pearls around with us that trip since the necklaces were too expensive at the Polynesian Center.

 Pearl Harbor was a solemn place. Because of the wind that day, we couldn’t go out on the boat to see the USS Arizona Memorial. However, it didn’t matter; watching Richard read all the memorials as he walked respectfully around that place was precious to me. We spent several hours there reading the memorials, visiting the museums, and learning more about this inconceivable and tragic piece of our world’s history.

I do have the deepest respect for our Military men and women who serve us. I believe most of them have the best intentions. However, my hope and sincere prayer is that someday this world will not have the need for a military force of any kind anywhere on the planet. I really do want to see this world at peace above all else. War can never convey peace; it can only bring more war. Only peace brings peace! Let’s make Love not war! I guess I am a true hippie at heart! My father and two uncles served in WWII. My father was in the Navy and served in Japan right after the atomic bombs were dropped. One uncle was in the Air Force and got shot down flying somewhere over Asia, but thankfully, he survived; and, my other uncle was in the Army infantry fighting in Europe. Now my son has followed in his family’s footsteps of Military service as a US Marine. It was extremely significant and touching to be there with Richard. I can only pray we don’t repeat the mistakes of the past, that my son won’t have to fight in any wars, and especially not in a WWIII. Unfortunately at this time with the state of the world, it doesn’t seem too likely that he will escape experiencing the horrors of war. Currently, Richard is serving our country in Japan, just like my father did 70 years ago in 1945-1946 at the end of WWII.

While at Pearl Harbor, we noticed there was a Pearl Factory. They had many reasonable settings for our pearls. They also let us crack two more oysters which gave us two beautiful white pearls. The first pearl I set in a sweet necklace for my daughter Myranda; and, the second one I keep on my Pachakuti mesa alter, saving it for Emma to wear one day. I wear my black pearl necklace nearly every day. It is a lovely reminder of that special trip to Hawaii with my boys, and my first amazing Shamanic journey to find the Spirit medicine of my drum. It is also a beautiful cleaning tool for the Ho’oponopono prayer, another reason I wear it every day.

Alberto Villoldo teaches, “The shaman lives in a world where the Creator is not separate from the Creation, Heaven is not separate from Earth, and Spirit and matter infuse each other. The shaman does not believe in a division between the body and the spirit, or between the visible world of form and the invisible world of energy.” In June of 2014, I found the first Shamanic course I wanted to study. I signed up for the Path of the Universal Shaman, both the introduction and advanced online courses with Don Oscar Miro-Quesada. It was life changing! I am currently enrolled in Alberto Villoldo's Light Body School as a Shamanic Energy Medicine Healer, and will graduate in July of 2018. I am both a student and a teacher in practicing these Shamanic arts, and always will be because I love it with all my heart. I have a Pachakuti Mesa alter in my Reiki Healing room where I meditate, connect with Spirit, and keep some of my Shamanic medicine artes. I am a mesa carrier and practicing shaman. I have been initiated into the Munay-Ki rites. I have an apacheta in my front yard as well, an apacheta channels energy from the heavens into our beloved Pachamama, our Goddess Earth Mother, bringing more healing energy and diamond light to this planet. Apachetas are like acupuncture points set up around the world to strengthen the flow of energy by means of our offerings and our prayers. Those of us who have built apachetas maintain them with loving care. I deeply love and respect these ancient traditions. I am thankful I was finally open-minded enough to experience another point of view of the world so I could learn about these ancient customs and practice them. As a Mormon, I was rigid in my beliefs. There was no room for other paths. Losing my religion, the fear of God, and the fear of death was what made it possible for me to expand my world view. I have had many spiritual experiences on this sacred journey that I would have never considered possible as a Mormon. It is true that sometimes the crisis we would avoid at all costs is the very thing that brings us to our hearts greatest desire!


I have added two more beautiful drums to my practice, another named Ruby's Krystal Rainbow, after a my grandma and me, and a red drum I put together and call my Wild Rose. I went on journeys for both of these drums as well to find the spirit medicine they would carry for me and to learn their names as well.

 Namaste!


(copy and paste links)

My website 
www.sacredlights.net

My YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZXFp40f4k40LYshzXyl2Q?view_as=subscriber

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sacred Secretion

The story of Santa Claus(trum).

The Mystery of Naronia