My Beautiful Babies




I don’t want my children to follow in my footsteps. I want them to take the path next to me and to go further than I ever could have dreamt possible. ~ Author Unknown  (March 2017, The Garrett's are together again for Scarlet's baby blessing all 14 of us! Out family has grown by four, two lovely daughter's in law and two gorgeous granddaughters, and we will add a grandson in Feb of 2018!)



I always knew I was going to be a mother. I was in elementary school when I remembered exactly how many children I was going have. It was eight. I am happy to say that Randy and I have created eight wonderful children. As of June 2017, we have been married for twenty nine years. I wish I could say we were high school sweethearts. But, that wasn’t quite the case. We did meet in high school my junior year, his senior year, at a football game. We both went to Logan High school in Logan, Utah. We were great friends for three years, and then it developed into something more than just friendship. We had both graduated from high school, and were attending Utah State University, (USU), to further our education. I changed my major three times in my first year of college. Finally, I found the perfect degree for me to study. Once I discovered the Family and Human Development degree, I swiftly changed my major for the last time to this one. It was ideal for me. I went to college not to have a ‘money making’ career. Instead, I desired further schooling to become the best mother I could be. I wasn’t interested in getting a job after graduation. I knew what my genuine vocation would be, raising eight kids. I got my degree for the sole purpose of educating myself to be a better mother. That’s why a Family and Human Development degree was perfect. I knew a diploma in Human Development would serve me well while raising my kids. Plus, I needed to find my husband. Where better to do that than at college?

          I started dating Randy intently the summer after my first year at USU. We dated for nine months before we became engaged. I told him from the very start, I wanted to have eight children. It was essential that he was okay with that, since it was something I had agreed to do. Luckily, he said he was up for the challenge. Or, he agreed to it because he thought it wouldn’t really happen. Albert Einstein said, “Women marry men hoping they will change. Men marry women hoping they will not, so each is inevitably disappointed.” Now that I have been married nearly three decades, I think this statement is very accurate. I did think that even if Randy didn’t want eight kids, I could change his mind about that once we were married, so either way, it felt right to start a life together. Randy asked me to marry him on March 18th, 1988. We planned a June wedding. June was the one year anniversary of our first official date. However, when I think back on it, I wish we could have waited until August. I would love to have 8/8/88 as our anniversary. On the other hand, waiting two more months would have seemed like an eternity to me back then. I don’t think I could have waited. I had waited long enough already!

I was the fourth child to get married in my family. Randy was the third child in his. All five of our siblings had gone through the temple for their weddings; which is what good, worthy, Mormon, young men and women do when they get married. We chose not to be married there. We were not active in the church at that time in our life. We didn’t want to get active either in order to marry inside the temple. Plus, we wanted all of our family members to be present at our wedding. Randy’s dad and some of our siblings couldn’t attend our wedding if we had it in the temple. So, we chose to have a civil ceremony instead. This was a huge disgrace to my parents. They felt like they had obviously failed with me. The guilt for not doing things their way, which was actually the church’s way, was laid very thick on me by my mother. Still, I stood my ground. It seemed like my mother wanted to punish me the entire time we were planning our wedding. I couldn’t have the dress I liked, or the colors I wanted. Basically, if I wanted it she didn’t. She was in control of all the wedding decisions. None of that mattered truthfully, because in the end, she couldn’t stop me from getting married. I was nineteen. That was the point I had to remember. I could let her run the show, because I was getting what I really wanted more than anything, what I had waited for my entire life. Soon, I would get to be a wife, and start a family. That is what was important to me, not the colors, or my dress for that matter. 'Happily ever after' began on June 10th, 1988. We were finally married and starting our life together as one! I didn’t want to wait to start a family. Even though we were both young, and still in school, having a baby was my utmost desire.

         
Baby number one, a boy that we named Alex William, was born in October 1989. I was so excited to finally start meeting my children! He has curly, reddish/blond hair, and blue eyes. He was born with breathing problems that were never completely explained to us, because even the doctors didn’t totally understand what was wrong with him. The inside of his nose was half the size it should have been. He saw many different physicians those first few months of life, but they didn’t have any definitive answers for us. Alex would turn blue, and then scream, because he couldn’t get enough oxygen. After that, we would suck his nose out using saline drops and a syringe. The doctors said he would probably grow out of this problem, and he did. But, he really struggled especially those first six months of Life. Being our first child, we didn’t know any different. I was just extremely grateful, that he was finally here; and, I was blessed to be his mother! I went back to school soon after Alex was born. It was a real effort keeping our little family together. Life was crazy in those early years. Fortunately, my parents were close. They helped get us through school by caring for Alex when I had classes. I graduated in 1992 from USU with a Bachelor of Science degree in Family and Human Development with a minor in Social Work. After that, I was ready to add to our family. Randy still had three more years of school to go, but we didn’t wait.

          Baby number two, a boy that we called Brandon the whole time I was pregnant, was born at the end of August in 1993. When we saw him with a full head of thick, long, pitch black hair, and mystifying dark eyes, we knew that wasn’t Brandon. We named him Michael John instead. Many of the nurses asked me if his father was Mexican, or Native American. He looked like a beautiful, little papoose with his long, thick, black hair, olive skin, and dark chocolate brown eyes. He would get that a lot in his life, people wondering if he was adopted. He didn’t look like me, Alex, or his younger brothers at all. Although, he did look like Randy, black hair, tan skin, and handsome! He was an easy baby. No major health issues, except he did develop a mark on his lower back at two weeks old that scared me. It looked like a huge bruise covering all of his lower back. His doctor said it was a Mongolian birth mark, and it would go away. Again, I was asked if we had any Native American blood, because that is a common birth mark in Native American’s, Asian’s, and people with darker skin tones. I had always believed we did from my grandma Ruby’s father. He is a mystery in our family ancestry. Mike’s mark proved to me that somewhere in our lineage, we must have it. The mark did go away like the doctor said it would.   


          Baby number three, a boy that we called Brandon while I was pregnant, was born in October 1995, six days before Alex turned six. We had just moved to Colorado a few months before his birth. Randy graduated from USU in May of 1995 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering. In July, Randy started working for Hewlett Packard, (HP), in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Richard Austin’s birth was quick and easy. However, he would not be an easy baby, or child! Stubborn and confident, he was born already knowing everything! Clearly, this was not his first time on Earth either! He has blonde hair and hazel eyes. We intended to use Brandon for his middle name; but, he looked more like an Austin to us. He was named after Randy’s dad, Richard Bruce. There are several Richards in Randy’s family. They all go by their middle names. We called him Austin for the first eight years of his life. When Austin comprehended that his first name was Richard, and it was the same name as his grandpa’s, he chose to go by Richard instead. We were living close to his grandpa at that time and grandpa was dying. He wanted to go by the name that they shared. It was during Christmas break, and he was in the 2nd grade when he decided to make this change. As soon as he returned to school in January, he would only answer to Richard. This was a challenge for the other kids and his teachers. That didn’t matter to him whatsoever. Now, he is a United States Marine. His obstinate, unwavering, determined attitude helped him get through the toughest boot camp in the military. It is definitely not the life I would have chosen for him. Indisputably, he was born with a calling too; that, I do understand. When you have that kind of awareness and deep desire within you, you must honor it.

       Baby number four didn’t come for a while. We needed time to adjust to being out numbered with three kids. At last another boy, that we actually did name Brandon, was born in June 1999 without a doctor present. He was a week over due. As a result of that, they induced labor. It was a really horrific experience! I will spare you all the dreadful details. However, once he decided it was time to be born, he came out quickly terribly ripping me and bruising his face! He looked like a cute little dark blue Smurf. Our doctor was stuck in traffic. I brought him into the world all on my own. The nurses wouldn’t touch him, or me, until he was all the way out. This contributed to the many burst blood vessels in his face making him look blue. Brandon Kurt has curly, reddish/blonde hair, and blue eyes just like Alex. My first three boys looked completely different from each other. It was nice to see some resemblances to one of them. When he was young, Brandon was really good at showing us our Irish ancestry with his red hot temper! Sadly for him, he didn’t get to be the baby of the family for very long. When we brought home Brandon’s little sister, he certainly let us know he was not happy about it!

          Baby number five, a girl, was born in March 2001. When I learned I was pregnant again, unexpectedly this time, I prayed it was my daughter! I knew I had two girls waiting to be born. It was time for one of them to show up! My doctor was not on call that Sunday evening when I went into labor. A different doctor came to deliver her. When he learned this was our fifth baby, he asked Randy if he wanted to have the honor of delivering her. Randy suited up, and helped me bring our first daughter into the world. (I wish he could have done that with Brandon too!) We named her Myranda Jane. Jane came from my sweet savior grandma, Ruby Jane. The name Myranda is a combination of Myndee and Randy. It was perfect for her. She has beautiful brown eyes and auburn hair. She is gorgeous! I have to be honest, I was immensely grateful to have a girl after four boys in a row. I needed to keep a close eye on her with four older brothers. It took Brandon about nine months to accept she was here to stay. After seven years of living in Colorado, Randy’s job was now in Boston, Massachusetts. HP had split into two companies, HP and Agilent. He was now a part of Agilent. His new job ended up being in Boston. At this point in time, Randy’s father was very sick. We decided to pack up and move back to Utah. It was March 2003. We wanted our kids to have some memories of their grandfather before he was gone. We moved to Mendon, Utah where Randy worked from our home, and in Boston, for the next two years. It was nice to be close to Randy’ parents and mine, but I didn’t care for country life. I missed living in a bigger city. When Randy’s father passed on in June of 2004, his job in Boston was also coming to an end. Fortunately, Randy was able to find another job within Agilent back in Colorado Springs, CO. We moved back ‘home’ in August of 2005. We moved into a neighborhood close to our first house. Our kids were able to be back in school with their friends they had left two years earlier. Their friendships continued on like they were never gone. It was wonderful for all of us to be back by the majestic Rocky Mountains, the stunning red rocks of ‘Garden of the God’s’, and the fabulous sunrises and sunsets of colorful Colorado! I actually found out I was pregnant again, the day we moved back to Colorado, Friday, August 5th, 2005. I had had a miscarriage earlier that summer. This was a surprise to be pregnant again so soon after losing a pregnancy. Nonetheless, I was positively pregnant. I felt certain this time the baby would grow and develop normally. I knew I would soon be holding a sweet, beautiful baby boy in my arms once again. There would be a five year gap between Myranda and her new little baby brother.

          Baby number six was born in April 2006. Another blessed baby boy joined our family. He was named after our hometown and his grandfather who passed away there. Logan Bruce has blonde hair, blue eyes, and an ‘old’ soul. He was the first of my ‘Rainbow’ children, children born with beautiful crystal clear auras, and amazing insights into life. If you have never heard of the terms Indigo, Crystal, or Rainbow children check out Doreen Virtues book, The Care and Feeding of Indigo Children, and The Crystal Children. Logan is definitely an astounding Rainbow child. Logan recently shared with me a very extraordinary memory of his from before he incarnated on this Earth. This memory was so tender and special to him. He cried while he spoke of his feelings about leaving the Spiritual Plane to come back into this Physical existence. I wrote down his sweet memories exactly as he had revealed them to me, in case time erases it from the mind as he grows. Logan is very spiritual, affectionate, quite intuitive, sensitive, and wise beyond his years. Since there is a five year gap between Logan and Myranda, and I hated having eleven years between my closest sister and I, I felt very strongly I had to have one more baby close to Logan. At this point in my life, I was starting to question the number eight. As I was getting older, pregnancy was harder, and I had already had two miscarriages. I just didn’t think I could physically have eight children. However, I knew seven was doable. I could get pregnant just one more time. I was determined to have just one more baby!

Namaste!

www.iamsacredlight.com
www.sacredlights.net
www.secretsfromtheuniverse.blogspot.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sacred Secretion

The story of Santa Claus(trum).

The Mystery of Naronia